Monday, July 23, 2012

Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton [REVIEW]

Wings of the Wicked
(Angelfire #2)
by Courtney Allison Moulton
Summary from Goodreads:

"Life as the Preliator is harder than Ellie ever imagined.
Balancing real life with the responsibility of being Heaven’s warrior is a challenge for Ellie. Her relationship with Will has become all business, though they both long for each other. And now that the secret of who she really is has come out, so have Hell’s strongest reapers. Grown bold and more vicious, the demonic threaten her in the light of day and stalk her in the night.

She’s been warned.
Cadan, a demonic reaper, comes to her with information about Bastian’s new plan to destroy Ellie’s soul and use an ancient relic to wake all the souls of the damned and unleash them upon humanity. As she fights to stay ahead of Bastian’s schemes , the revelations about those closest to her awaken a dark power within Ellie that threatens to destroy everything—including herself.

She’ll be betrayed.
Treachery comes even from those whom she loves, and Ellie is broken by the deaths of those who stood beside her in this Heavenly war. Still, she must find a way to save the world, herself, and her love for Will. If she fails, there will be hell to pay."

Rating:

A tension-building book; that’s pretty much all there is to Wings of the Wicked.

Wings of the Wicked, the second installment to the Angelfire series, started where the first book left off. Ellie is trying in vain to balance her normal human life with the responsibility of being the Preliator. She goes to school during the day, hangs out with her friends after, and by sundown she’s out hunting demonic creatures that are reeking havoc all over. But evil has grown more lethal and things are starting to get worse for Ellie. Demonic reapers are getting stronger, and each battle Ellie fights leaves her more and more vulnerable, plus hearing that Bastian has finally found a sure way of destroying Ellie’s soul for good, things just won’t be getting better anytime soon.

I’m a little disappointed about this book. I was in love with Angelfire when I read it but somehow Wings of the Wicked didn’t satisfy me the way I thought it would.

Ellie’s world, both the norm and inside the Grim, are fascinating. There is no shortage in action scenes and I love the idea of progressing through the book in video game-like atmosphere and pacing. I like that the story has taken on an even deeper perspective and things weren’t as black-and-white as I thought it was. All those elements could have been enough to make me adore this book.

What upset me was how this book just built up all the suspense and mystery until the last chapters of the book and then left me hanging for another mystery to solve. And I didn’t even get enough answers from the first ones it created. It shifted into a different problem that, although I found important since I really love Will, overshadowed the main concern that was already there. Don’t get me wrong, I am looking forward to how that’ll turn out, but I like my questions to be answered first before we move on to another.

The love triangle being morphed here seems a little off. I don’t know, maybe because I never really saw any other side to Cadan other than what was already there. What happened and when did Cadan really come into picture? It felt like he just popped into the scene without any warning. Was he in Ellie’s past life in a way that equals to the relationship that Will and Ellie had over the years? If there was then I’d like to see it because I really feel like I missed something.

I got a little uncomfortable with the whole Ellie and Will relationship here. I was rooting for them in the first book but in this one, their conversations just keep going around in circles. I don’t even want to recall how they go. I know it’s a way to show how much they love each other but some of the convos are just plain… cheesy! I’m sorry, but they just went a bit overboard, not to mention repetitive.

I will still be reading the next book, Shadows in the Silence. I just hope that the main plot wouldn’t get lost anymore.