Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fairy Tale Fail by Mina V. Esguerra [REVIEW]

Fairy Tale Fail
by Mina V. Esguerra


Summary from Goodreads:

"Twenty-something Ellie Manuel's Prince Charming may have broken up with her, but she won't give up... because fairy tale heroines don't live "happily ever after" right away, silly. So she spends the next year restoring herself to the girl he had fallen in love with. Until she discovers that life without him might not be so bad after all. So when is it okay to quit on a fairy tale?"

Rating:

Fairy Tale Fail introduces readers to Ellie. A girl in her twenties who believes life is like a fairy tale, and she falls in love with the idea of a happily ever after – oh girl, are you in for a huge reality check!

Fairy Tale Fail kind of reminds me of the movie, Legally Blonde. You know, the movie where this blonde girl gets dumped by her boyfriend, and she goes into law school where the guy is at and tries to prove herself so that he’d take her back. But in the end the guy’s a douche and she realizes she doesn’t want the guy anymore – something like that.

I think (and correct me if I’m wrong) that this book is the shortest one I’ve read from Mina Esguerra. I guess that’s one reason I find myself speechless over reading this book – uh, dumbstruck (?) might be more appropriate (since I’m typing all this). It doesn’t have the kind of foundation or character development like the other books have.

Ellie is a good character, but she’s not as memorable as the rest of the protagonists from the author’s other books. Same goes with the leading man, Lucas is okay. But I didn’t get to know him that much so I can’t really say I like him. But if I had to choose between him and Don, I’d say Lucas all the way. I’ve been with someone like Don, and I hated the way I was told I’m not ready for this and that because I’m not “dedicated” enough to the job at hand. Dude, seriously, lay off! Been there, done that! Trust me, they always think they know better on how you should live your life.

What stood out for me while reading this is the way Ellie portrayed a strong kind of woman. She never really needed to change in the first place just so she could find true love. I think that’s one important matter that women should come to realize. 

So yeah, it was good, just too short. But I say, “Yay!” to women empowerment. :)