Friday, September 7, 2012

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan [REVIEW]

Glow (Sky Chasers #1)
by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Summary from Goodreads:

"If a violent battle destroyed the only world you’ve ever known, would you be brave enough to save who was left? Would love be strong enough to survive the fight? Either way, there’s no turning back…

The Empyrean is the only home 15-year-old Waverly has ever known. As members of the first generation to be successfully conceived in deep space, she and her boyfriend Kieran will be pioneers of New Earth. Waverly knows she must marry young in order to have children who can carry on the mission, and Kieran, the handsome captain-to-be, has everything Waverly could want in a husband. But there’s a part of Waverly that wants more from life than marriage… and she is secretly intrigued by the shy, darkly brilliant Seth.

Suddenly, Waverly’s dreams are interrupted by the inconceivable – a violent betrayal by the Empyrean's sister ship, the New Horizon. In one pivotal moment, Waverly and Kieran are separated, and find themselves at the helm of dangerous missions, where every move has potentially devastating consequences, and decisions of the heart may lead to disaster.

Pulse-pounding and addictive, 
Glow is the first novel in Amy Kathleen Ryan's riveting Sky Chasers series.”

Rating:

Glow takes readers the world of Waverly and Kieran. Both characters have lived their lives on a space ship called the Empyrean, which is set to course through outer space on its journey to the New Earth. Disaster strikes when the reach the nebula and a neighbouring ship called New Horizon sets out kidnapping the girls from the Empyrean.  Kieran and Waverly are caught up in different problems; Kieran does his best take over the ship while the adults go after the girls, and Waverly, being the oldest among the kidnapped girls is determined to get them all back to the Empyrean. But are they strong enough to lead and make choices?

I felt cheated over reading Glow. I’ve seen a lot of great reviews from it that I already expected I would like this book. And the synopsis just made me want to read it so much more, even considered buying the second book along when I purchased it. Thank goodness I put that decision on hold.

WARNING: Spoilers up ahead!

Sadly Glow did not meet up to my expectations. The main characters where just too flat. Waverly seemed interesting at first but eventually, her reactions to certain events weren’t empathizing, especially the part where her egg cells where harvested. Yes, I know it was taken from her involuntarily but I think she should have at least acknowledged these people were desperate. Calling the idea as though she felt she was raped was too much for me to handle. I found it offensive. She has no idea what rape is, therefore that’s not something she should have said.

Kieran was just as uninteresting as Waverly. I didn’t see much of him beyond the description already given. The book had a narrative of him being the next Captain of the Empyrean but really he didn’t do much to give justice to the reputation assigned to him. Or maybe I just didn’t see it since this all happened pre-crisis.

Sam, who I thought was the good guy at first, turned out to be a bully. On how that started before all the mayhem happened, I don’t know. I must’ve missed it. If any of you know where I could find the basis for this behavior beforehand, kindly point me to the right direction. Thank you very much. Teehee!

I can’t seem to remember much from this book. I tend to zone out during narratives. Sorry, it was just way too descriptive for me to find it interesting. Even the action scenes didn’t seem as interesting as I thought. They were there eventually but really flying space craft wasn’t the kind of action I was looking for. If light sabers were involved in between (or something similar), then that’s another story. Just kidding about that last part! Moving on…

I guess my main problem with the narrative is that although it tried to give beauty to the world Waverly and Kieran where living in, they were more focused on describing the characters’ emotions. And since I’m not a fan of them, well you can say that it wasn’t an enjoyable experience for me.

And then there was the epilogue. That at least I have to commend. That was a surprise. I didn’t expect this book to evolve to something like that so yeah, that was interesting. Also, I kind of got why Waverly was so bitter over at the New Horizon, when she finally revealed what happened to her body, I felt sorry for her. Glow is kind of like Beth Revis’ Across the Universe… and then some. If you ask me which one is better, I don’t know. Probably best if you ask someone else, since I’m not a fan of either book.

*Buddy read with Maria @ Bookchilla