Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout [REVIEW]

TITLE: Onyx (Lux #2)
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
PUBLISHER: Entangled Publishing
PUB DATE: Aug 14 2012
Summary from Goodreads:

"Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.


But then everything changes…


I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…"

Rating:

As hard as Katy denies it, she has developed deep feelings for Daemon. It’s not helping that he’s trying to win her over, and make amends for treating her badly before. But it seems that there are other things they need to worry about.

The Department of Defense is lurking around town, and once they find out about what Katy can do – she’s in for a lot of trouble, worse even for Daemon.

And yet, it’s not enough that Katy is juggling her feelings for Daemon, and being careful not to be discovered by the DoD, they suddenly learn of something even deeper. Something that sparked hope – but it might leave Daemon devastated all in the end...

Before anything else, let me just say... I WANT THE DAMN COOKIE, DAEMON!  Gimme! *drools* LOL

Wow! Daemon and Katy’s relationship just got hotter with each book. That cookie moment is still stuck in my head up until now. Damn! Can this guy get any hotter? I mean seriously? *fans self*

I loved Daemon in Obsidian, even though he was a douche most of the time, but I love him even more with Onyx. I am so happy to see that side of him. It’s almost as if he’s courting Katy, [I am a Filipina so yeah, courtship is a big deal for me] which makes him seem like such a gentleman, and makes all the more attractive. Yummy! What? He is!

This book was such a great read. The one thing that bothered me about this book was Katy’s mistrust and stubbornness. I feel like I’m sensing a pattern here with the 2nd instalment of books in a series. I felt it when I read Insurgent by Veronica Roth where Tris was all emo and annoying, then I had the same feeling with Saba in Rebel Heart by Moira Young. And now Katy goes about doing the same thing. What is it with these girls being so stubborn? I know they have their reasons but worse things could have been avoided if they would just listen.

I wasn’t expecting all the surprises I got while reading Onyx. I was expecting more from Daemon and Katy, of course, but the whole involvement of the Department of Defense, their spies, the Arum and that big reveal in the end – those just left me speechless. I always thought of the Lux series as more of a love story with the extraterrestrial twist than anything else. So yes, I relished every moment I was caught off guard and I just kept yearning for more.