Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout [REVIEW]


TITLE: Opal (Lux #3)
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
PUBLISHER: Entangled Teen
PUB DATE: Dec 11 2012 
Summary from Goodreads:

"No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it."

Rating:

Katy and Daemon are back, better than ever, for another blazing adventure. Now hold your horses, this is not just about Daemon... – oh who am I kidding it’s all about DAEMON! *squeals uncontrollably* Okay, okay, I’ll calm down now. Sorry.

As I was saying, Opal, the third book from the Lux series gives readers a new insight on Katy and Daemon’s relationship. While Obsidian and Onyx went off with these two love birds having the constant love-hate relationship, and the ever brooding push-and-pull, hiding feelings and do-not-associate-with-humans/aliens interactions; Opal gives readers exactly what they were finally waiting for, the ever blooming, you-and-me-against-the-world, sweet moments of Katy and Daemon. Can you say HOT?!

Opal is probably my most favorite among the three (for now) books. I guess I was tired of seeing Katy and Daemon fight off their feelings for each other, it was a relief to see them go into the mushy couple phase. Of course, there’s no lack of the witty, snarky, obnoxious yet sexy Daemon that we all know, but I love that I got to see an even more sensitive side of him. Boy, can this guy make a girl’s knees wobble (I hope that didn’t sound bad, I meant that to be sweet thing).

Aside from all the sweet Daemon-Katy moments, I relished the hilarious scenes here and there that came up while reading through this book: the zombie movie scene between Daemon, Katy and Dawson; meeting a very surprising rival for Daemon (the rival has purple hair – go figure. Not saying anything else about this but trust me, this was hilarious. I swear.); the prom and after prom scene; Andrew’s timing that sucked to an epic level (Daemon’s words, not mine)... and a lot more.

I really love every minute of reading Opal, but I have to admit it didn’t have as much action scenes as the previous books... although I did get some other kind of “action” and I’m not one to complain *snickers*. What? They were intense and sexy? I can’t help it. Ha! Ha!

So I was serious when I said this wasn’t just all about Daemon, okay he’s somewhat part of it most of the time. Anyway, there’s Dawson who happens to be lost without Bethany – that was just sad; the DoD still being a pain; then the deal Katy and Daemon made with Blake... and of course there is Blake who I pitied during the first parts of this book but want him so badly to die a horrible, brutal, gruesome death by the end – didn’t happen though (yet), but I’ll be waiting and JLArmentrout better give justice for his crimes!

I have not read a book that had me eagerly want to curse so badly as much as Opal did with the ending. I do curse (I try not to though), just not as bad as what went through my mind during those moment. Well, it looks like I have to wait a while longer to see what happens next. Ms. Armentrout, you are cruel! But I love you. LOL.