Monday, February 11, 2013

Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout [REVIEW]

TITLE: Deity (Covenant #3)
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
PUBLISHER: Spencer Hill Press
PUB DATE: Oct 31 2012
Summary from Goodreads:

"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time.

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden. 

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome. 

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate..."

Rating:

So... I’ve been deferring my time over writing a review for Deity. Don’t get me wrong, I loved this book more than the first two in the Covenant series, but I just don’t really know what to say. Everything was happening so fast that my thoughts couldn’t pick up much of a reaction besides a “wow,” “oh my goodness” and “I did not expect that.” Honestly I don’t remember which commentary was of which scene. But let me try to get form a coherent thought here, and I’ll keep it short.

Deity is probably the most emotional book amongst the [first three] books in this series. A lot sentimental scenes happened within, and I really was pleased with how the author came to give readers an even deeper perspective over the characters and their qualities. Over time I found myself changing my opinion on several characters, and sometimes I struggle to figure out which character is trustworthy and who is not. As confusing as it gets, I love the unpredictability of it.

I expected Alex to be in total paranoia-mode over what happened in Pure but right now it’s as if they’ve moved on from it and only mentioned the incident from time to time. Turns out there other things they need to worry about and I’m just glad it puts Aiden off the spotlight over that matter.

I love that I finally got to see Alex and Aiden together at last. I know the forbidden love agenda here is a total cliché but these two had eventually grown on me. It’s also such a relief to see a side of Alex without having Seth breathing down her neck. The little surprise over Deacon was unexpected. I didn’t see that one coming but I hope he’s happy because he’s one of those minor characters that I totally loved from the beginning.

My favorite part of this book would probably be the when the gods had finally started getting involved. Oooh! I love a good conflict among the gods episode.

What I’ve thought to be a not-so-unique story from the first book turned out to go in a totally different direction – and with a BANG too!