Friday, February 1, 2013

Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout [REVIEW]

TITLE: Pure (Covenant #2)
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
PUBLISHER: Spencer Hil Press
PUB DATE: Apr 3 2012
Summary from Goodreads:

"There is need. And then there is Fate.

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude or killing her. 

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone."

Rating:

Warning: Review contains spoilers. I couldn’t help it as of the moment; I need to express some things that would definitely give out some major scenes in Pure.

Pure launches our protag, Alex, to a whole new adventure. She faces a different of challenge from what she stumbled upon in Half-Blood. While she had to deal with ending her daimon mother’s horrific condition in the first book, Alex must now face the consequences of the situation, she has to appear before the Council to give out her statement on what happened. Although it seems, the Minister of the Council has something else in mind...

Wow! Did this book have so much excitement or what? A whole lot of events have occurred and we are yet to be left with closure to any of the things that happened in Half-Blood, the tension and mystery just keeps building up. I felt my heart leap and soar, as well as tumble and fall while reading this. At some point I even felt a little annoyed. There were a whole lot of emotions to go through.

I’m used to seeing Alex all worked up and bratty, after all who is Alex without her smart-mouthed persona and inability to follow the rules? But to some extent I guess it went a little overboard. I understand that her kind has been given less rights and privilege than the Pures but I don’t get the kind of reaction she had over a curfew and a physical exam. Seriously, has she never gone through an annual medical check up? I know it’s a little awkward but nothing to get all feisty about. I’m even pissed she picked a fight with Aiden over that. It kind of sounded, well... lame. Sorry.

Moving on, I’m kind of upset over the fact that Seth gets the upper hand here. I am after all team Aiden through and through, so seeing a side of Seth that is “likeable” makes me cringe. No way am I letting this arrogant dude get in the way of my Aiden’s happiness, I mean Alex’s Aiden that is. What? Is it that bad I want him myself? LOL.

I’m still grieving over that one of Grandma Piperi’s visions came true. *sighs heavily* When you’re a protagonist’s best friend, not only do you usually get stuck in the “friend zone” but you also get the impending doom scenario where you die, just so readers can see the protag experience an emotional turmoil. Authors can be cruel. Hahaha!

I really love the action scene as a finale. Wooh! That just blew me away. And boy do I want to see Telly die so bad. JLArmentrout is transforming me into one morbid individual. I’ve experienced this with her other book, Opal from the Lux series. Why are you doing this to me, Ms. Armentrout?

What I thought was a simple story from Half-Blood grows into an even more interesting plot with Pure and I’m really excited to get to the rest of the books from this series.