Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer [REVIEW]

   
TITLE: Scarlet
            (The Lunar Chronicles #2)
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
PUBLISHER: Feiwel and Friends
PUB DATE: Feb 5 2013
Summary from Goodreads:

"The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner."

Rating:

*Gasps* Wolf! *dreamy-eyed*

Wolf... *giggles*

Oh, dear Wolf... *sighs heavily*

Oh. What? Review? *wide eyed* Whoops! Sorry. I... I’m just... you see... *sigh* Wolf!

Okay... I’m snapping out of this trance – for now. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Wow! This was such spectacular book! What an adventure! I can’t stop admiring it. I can’t stop myself from smiling every time it crosses my mind or whenever I see it on my shelf. I can’t stop thinking about how much fun it was to read. I can’t stop fan-girling over Wolf! (I’m sorry. I know I said I’d snap out of my trance but it’s. Just. So. Hard! LOL).

I had loads of fun reading Cinder, the first book from the Lunar Chronicles, but Scarlet just put all that awesomeness to a whole new level! The characters are even more striking than before. Of course, I’m really glad to see Cinder and Kai again. But the addition of Thorne, – I’m sorry, that’s Captain Thorne – Scarlet and Wolf just made the story more exciting.

Meeting Thorne made Cinder’s journey, although strenuous and filled with danger, amusing and worth looking forward to. Thorne is one of those characters that would be loved by many despite being a wanted criminal. As for Scarlet and Wolf, they are just oh-so lovable. I say “Scarlet and Wolf” because it doesn’t feel right describing one without the other. If there’s one couple I’d strongly “ship”, it would be Scarlet and Wolf. They’re just perfect for each other.
I love every character in this book, and I think there’s never one which I found to be insignificant. But I should say that Wolf was the most striking character I found in this book. He’s not the typical book boyfriend I’d giggle and ogle over. He’s shy and has a totally different persona but all the more swoon-worthy. He stood out so much that heck, I called Maria @ Bookchilla [my reading buddy for Scarlet] a “witch” (and I didn’t use the letter ‘w’ if you know what I mean) for calling dibs on Wolf. Maria, my dear friend, I am so sorry. It was burst of emotion and you caught me off guard so I humbly apologize… But you are still going to pay for that! LOL.

Usually when I read a book over 400 pages or so, it would normally take me 3 days to finish (because I would be doing most of my reading at night before going to bed and during lunch and coffee breaks at work). Can you believe I read Scarlet in a day and a half? It was THAT addicting!

If I was excited about this entire series since I read Cinder, you can’t imagine how ecstatic I am now after reading Scarlet. I so anxious to see what’s next to come for our heroes, and I’m really eager to meet new characters in the next books.