Monday, March 25, 2013

Unremembered by Jessica Brody [ARC REVIEW]

      
TITLE: Unremembered 
           (Unremembered #1)
AUTHOR: Jessica Brody
PUBLISHER: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (BYR)
PUB DATE: Mar 5 2013
Summary from Goodreads:

"A catastrophic plan crash leaves one survivor: a girl with no memory.

Who is she?

Where does she come from?

Nobody knows and no one comes forward to claim her.

Haunted by a looming threat she can't remember and plagued by abilities she doesn't understand, she struggles to recall who she is. But every clue leads to more questions. And she's running out of time to answer them.

Her only hope is a boy who claims they were once in love.

Alone and on the run, who should she trust? And what if she discovers that she is safer with a past that stays unremembered?"

Rating:

Unremembered’s premise showed a lot of promise of mystery and romance. With a protagonist who does not remember a single thing about her past and a boy who claims to be in love with her once, the warning of danger and the confusion of who she must trust and how will she get her memory back... seriously, it was leading me on to think it was going to be epic. Meh... not so much.

I’ve seen this all before.

Apparently I’ve been muttering that for the most part of reading Unremembered... The time travel thing and the on-the-run drama – I’ve seen them all happen in Yesterday by C.K. Kelly Martin. The only differences are: this is way shorter, a lot more romantic, and much easier explanation on how they did the whole time-travel situation.

Before I started reading Unremembered, I allotted an entire page of my journal to write down my thoughts on this book as I read through it. Sadly, I didn’t get to write much. By the time I finished the book, I had only written down nearly half of the page I provided. So what does that tell me? It’s not as stimulating as I expected. Usually when I read a book, I write down every thought I get that I want to look back on once I start reviewing the book, but with Unremembered... There just wasn’t that much to think about.

I’d like to think that I somehow enjoyed reading this book, but honestly, I just went through waiting for something exciting to happen but everything just came out boring... The characters do not stand out and some of them seemed to be laid out conveniently for our heroes when they need them. Oh, they just happen to be there? Seriously, who buys that? The only character that I have come to admire was Rio. He’s the only person I found interesting enough to let me grow as sense of emotional attachment with.

I’m not sure if I can think any way to say this could have been better but, like I said, there isn’t much in this book to think about. It’s a fast paced story... but nothing really extravagant.

*Thank you, Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR), Macmillam and NetGalley for the copy of Unremembered.