Friday, April 26, 2013

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally [REVIEW]

TITLE: Things I Can't Forget
             (Hundred Oaks #3)

AUTHOR: Miranda Kenneally
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks Fire
PUB DATE: Mar 1 2013
 Summary from Goodreads:

"Companion to Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker.

Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…

This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt--with her.

Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…

Note: Mature themes, sexual situations, religious discussions."

Rating:

Things I Can’t Forget introduces readers to Kate. She has taken a summer job at Cumberland Creek as a counselor for the art activities of the camp, trying to overcome the guilty feeling that has been haunting her after helping her best friend Emily do something that she finds immoral. This summer, she experiences a life she’d unlikely choose herself to be into…

I’m not much of an outdoorsy person so I don’t know what going to camp feels like, but Kate’s days in camp made me feel like it could be kind of fun! It makes me wish I tried it out when I was a kid.

I had a few presumptions about this book. I have read Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker, so I assumed that since I got a glimpse of Jordan in Stealing Parker, I’d get a peek at Parker’s life now too with Things I Can’t Forget. Thankfully, I did and I was happy about that. One thing I didn’t expect was to see Jordan make an appearance too – Yay!

Spoiler: Another thing I thought would happen was, since the first two books mentioned a guy’s name in the synopsis written at the back of the book, the protagonist would end up with some other guy in the book (he who was not named). I thought it was some kind of pattern. I was wrong. Hahaha!

Kate is one of those girls who other people would look at and find self-righteous. Unlike the previous protagonists from Miranda Kenneally’s books, Jordan and Parker, Kate is a prig. She’s always thinking if her actions would cause her to sin or not. So it was a little difficult to like her. But I do understand why she feels that way. Her church and the society she has been accustomed to have really influenced her life deeply and I can’t blame her for uncertainties in life. I’m glad that her summer job gave her the chance to view things in other people’s perspective, whether about faith, spirituality, or simply living.

I have to admit that I’ve been a little skeptical about writing a review for Things I Can’t Forget. Religious beliefs are topics that I believe to be too personal and would rather not be talked about in public. This is really a sensitive topic to discuss. But I’ve always believed that there is no perfect religion. I’ve always thought that it’s not important which church you go to, but what matters the most is your faith and devotion to God.