Thursday, May 30, 2013

Of Triton by Anna Banks [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Of Triton (Of Poseidon #2)
AUTHOR: Anna Banks
PUBLISHER: Macmillam, 
            Feiwel & Friends
PUB DATE: May 28 2013


Summary from Goodreads:

"In this sequel to OF POSEIDON, Emma has just learned that her mother is a long-lost Poseidon princess, and now struggles with an identity crisis: As a Half-Breed, she’s a freak in the human world and an abomination in the Syrena realm below. Syrena law states that all Half- Breeds should be put to death.

As if that’s not bad enough, her mother’s reappearance among the Syrena turns the two kingdoms—Poseidon and Triton—against one another. Which leaves Emma with a decision to make: Should she comply with Galen’s request to keep herself safe and just hope for the best? Or should she risk it all and reveal herself—and her Gift—to save a people she’s never known?"

Rating:



Of Triton is slightly more entertaining than its predecessor, Of Poseidon. While the first book provided readers of unravelling the mystery behind Emma’s heritage and her oddity as a human with Syrena features, book two now opens readers to a new predicament.

The Royals of both kingdoms, Poseidon and Triton, are being questioned of their ability to rule. With all the political anarchy brewing under the sea, it’s up to Emma to try and put things back in perspective. But will her decision lead to getting the royals back on the good side of the Syrena people? Or will the risk she’s about to take eventually make things worse for her?

When I read Of Poseidon, I kind of felt underwhelmed about the story. It wasn’t what I was expecting with the eerie kind of cover it had. Still, the story was kind of fun that it made me interested in reading the second book.

Emma’s character growth was unexpected. She’s always been hot headed but here she shows a different side of her that although I like, makes me feel like she went through a personality overhaul. Probably the change was too fast? Maybe.

Galen, however, remains the ever protective guy over Emma’s safety. But he’s rather cheesy with his lines this time around. There is this one line that I found incredibly cheesy but I keep giggling and shuddering with delight: “Start what? The rescue or the rest of our lives together?” See? Cheesy! But it totally made my heart flip. Teehee!

I’m a little disoriented about Rayna’s and Galen’s physical situations (I can’t say what they are, that would totally spoil the story)... I love the idea behind it and all, but the sudden appearance of the problem was out of the blue. It made me wonder if I missed something from the first few chapters that lead to this situation or maybe I forgot something that happened in book one. Still, I was pretty sure I would remember things as significant as that.

I still feel off about the narratives of this series. If Emma’s point-of-view is written in first person, why was Galen’s written in third person? It feels more natural for me if they’re written in the same narrative.

Of Triton, however, surprised me in a totally different way than Of Poseidon. While the latter, was simpler and focused on one mystery alone, the former was more eventful and it definitely had more substance in the plot as well. There was the struggle of Nadia and Grom’s unexpected reunion, the chaos between the royals and the merfolk, Toraf’s surprise, and not to mention the Gifts of the Generals – a lot of topics had been brought up, topics that I had questions about at the start of book one. So yes, Of Triton made me a happy camper.

The ending was a bit sad, it was unexpected considering I thought this to be one of those lighter kinds of stories, but the epilogue showed off a cute and sweet scene, although still a little bittersweet. There were so many things that had been given closure in this book, so I wonder what would be dealt with in Of Neptune. I am definitely keen on finding out.

*Thank you, Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, Feiwel & Friends and NetGalley for the copy of Of Triton.