Thursday, June 27, 2013

Spartan Frost by Jennifer Estep [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Spartan Frost
            (Mythos Academy #4.5)

AUTHOR: Jennifer Estep
PUBLISHER: Kensington Books
PUB DATE: Jun 25 2013
Summary from Goodreads:

"Estep blends the perfect amount of action, romance and comedy. --"RT Book Reviews " I'm Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was--until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost.

Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I'm fine, that Loki and the Reapers don't have a hold on me anymore, but I can't risk it. I can't risk hurting Gwen again. So I'm leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away.

I know Gwen wonders what's happening to me, whether I'm safe. I can't tell her, but this is my story. . ."

Praise for the Mythos Academy Series:

"The strongest installment thus far--Estep delivers." --"Library Journal "on "Dark Frost"

"Lots of twists and turns and a surprise ending will leave the reader breathless!" --"RT Book Reviews "on "Kiss of Frost, 4 Stars "

"Recommended for fans of Richelle Mead, Rachel Hawkins and P.C. Cast." --"NocturneReads"

"Ms. Estep's Mythos Academy is sure to appeal to all those who love a good character-driven YA that uses humor, snark, and seriousness to create a world you won't want to leave." --Heroes &Heartbreakers

"It has literally everything: mystery, romance, mythology, boarding schools. What could be better?" --Simply Nerdy Book Reviews on "Touch of Frost"

Rating:

A story told in the eyes of the alluring Logan Quinn? Who would pass off that chance? I know I wouldn’t. Spartan Frost gives readers a glimpse of Logan’s thoughts about everything that went on previously in Crimson Frost.

Upon seeing the cover of this short story, my immediate reaction was: “It should have been Logan posing on the cover and not Gwen.” Come on! How many times will Logan get his own book? This could be the only one, right? I’d be happy to see more but let’s face it this is the first we’ll see him speak up his mind, why not give it all already? It really is more appropriate to have his face plastered there.

I’m a little confused about his point-of-view. I mean, it is said to be Logan speaking but it seems to me that the narrative still sounds a lot like Gwen. “...Black hair, blue yes, nice smile, muscles in the right places...” Really? What guy says that about his own body? It’s either Logan’s narcissistic or the author hasn’t quite worked out a way to detach the Gwen persona to form a different one for Logan. And does everyone really call him Logan “freaking” Quinn? Even himself? That’s just really weird.

I must say Spartan Frost wasn’t exactly an invigorating read but it wasn’t that bad either. I got to see Logan and his Dad start having a closer relationship with each other, and I’m happy for him. It’s one of the things that he so dearly wants even if he doesn’t say it. And the cliff-hanger ending, which actually gives no clue over what happened to Gwen [that pissed me off by the way], promises an event that would prove the Spartan’s love for his Gypsy Girl.

*Thank you, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the copy of Spartan Frost.