Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Midnight Frost by Jennifer Estep [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Midnight Frost
            (Mythos Academy #5)
AUTHOR: Jennifer Estep
PUBLISHER: Kensington Books
PUB DATE: Jul 30 2013
Summary from Goodreads:

"Here we go again …

Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead.

As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there …"


Rating:


Gwen is back in the 5th installment of the Mythos Academy series! Well I have to admit, as much as I have complaints about each book from this series, I can’t deny that these books have been a part of my “anticipated-reads” list for reasons I’m not exactly sure of.

Midnight Frost has turned out to be a rather more pleasant to read compared to the others (not including, Touch of Frost I guess since I liked that one). I’ve been constantly complaining how there were so many repetitive parts from each book that I’ve already read from its predecessors, believe me it kind of gets annoying after four books have passed and you keep reading the same thoughts, word for word. Fortunately, it seems a lot of things have been taken off from the usual way the author introduces the story. Thank you for lessening the repetitive narratives!

This book is pretty exciting compared to the other books, like, for example the introduction of a new character, Rory, who happens to have a very significant role in Gwen’s life. Also, I like that big revelation regarding Gwen’s lineage.

Now speaking of Gwen, she’s not her usually spunky self in Midnight Frost, probably because of Logan’s absence and all. Still, as much as she annoys me at times, I’ve never really disliked her. I guess there is something in her character’s simplicity – minus the whole otherworldly drama because let’s face it, there’s nothing simple about that – that keeps me interested and wanting to know what goes on in her life.

However, I can’t say I don’t have any complaints – I always do, don’t take it personally, I have grievances with every book I read: I’m still not comfortable with the “good vs. evil chit-chat before the battle” thing that goes on every time the action scenes are up ahead. It kind of takes away the suspense and excitement of what’s to become a gruesome battle between the warriors.

Yet even with that concern, I really liked Midnight Frost. I enjoyed reading it. It had a faster pace than the rest of the books in the series. Plus, the visit to another academy like Mythos is a breath of fresh air since most of the previous books happened in Mythos. So yes, I am psyched up about reading the next installment, there is still a lot to unravel and I’m eager to see what happens next.

*Thank you, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the copy of Midnight Frost.