Monday, August 5, 2013

Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins [REVIEW]

TITLE: Sweet Peril (Sweet #2)
AUTHOR: Wendy Higgins
PUBLISHER: HarperTeen
PUB DATE: Apr 30 2013
Summary from Goodreads:

"Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things.

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?"

Rating:

It is books like Sweet Evil that I have come to realize how Paranormal Romance stories are growing on me – again. Since Twilight, I really have put similar stories on the side. The whole thing just got old and I just couldn’t take another teen love “guy leaves the girl and girl mopes around” incident, that scene in New Moon was not something I find appreciating.

So imagine my dismay at finding Anna doing exactly what I’ve been trying to avoid reading at the beginning of Sweet Peril. I wanted to stop right then and there. Is it just me or did Anna sound incredibly pathetic? I think it was so obvious how unhealthy her obsession with Kai was. Yet, being the ever optimistic person that I am, and with the many bookish friends who have said that patience will pay off in the end, I put up with Anna’s moping and clinging over Kaidan, even though I could barely stand it.

Thankfully, it turned out good in the end. I was really excited, and maybe somewhat a little jealous, over Anna’s cross country trips on recruiting others of her kind to join in on her purpose. There were so many other things to enjoy about the book, like meeting new sets of characters; finding out more about the rest of Anna’s Nephilim friends; and seeing to how even some demons, in spite of what they are, still hope for repentance.

The most worthwhile moment over reading Sweet Peril would probably be Kaidan’s reappearance. Yup, he’s gone about the first half of the book and only comes into picture for the later parts of the story but damn, was it worth the wait! I especially love chapter 17: Maid Service. I swear I was giggling over that the entire time I was reading.

This is one of the less-action type tales that I really enjoyed. It was a very sweet story (pun intended) that let me set aside my anticipation for gruesome battles and fight scenes. Okay, so would you please hand over Sweet Reckoning now?!