Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Princess of Thorns
AUTHOR: Stacey Jay
PUBLISHER: Random House Children's
PUB DATE: Dec 9 2014
Game of Thrones meets Grimm in a twisted continuation of the Sleeping Beauty's daughter, a warrior princess, who must fight to reclaim her throne in a politically fraught fantasy world.

Known for reimagining traditional fairy tales, Stacey Jay delivers a fast paced romantic fantasy adventure twisted in a feminist direction, featuring the fairy blessed warrior princess Aurora, the Sleeping Beauty's daughter, who doesn't take life lying down.

Though she looks like a mere mortal, Princess Aurora is fairy blessed with enhanced strength, bravery, mercy, and yet cursed to destroy the free will of any male who kisses her. Disguised as a boy, she enlists the help of a handsome cursed prince in order to fight legions of evil and free her brother from the ogre queen who stole Aurora's throne ten years before.

In spite of being uncertain of who to trust, Aurora grows close to Prince Niklaas during their arduous quest. Still nothing will stop her from reclaiming the crown that is rightfully hers and gaining control over her future. Will they triumph over evil and reach her brother whose days are numbered? Can Aurora and Niklaas break the curses that will forever keep them from finding their one true love?

- Source: NetGalley

Rating:



“Last night was what love is supposed to feel like, terrifying and beautiful and so close you're afraid you'll lose a piece of yourself, but you don't. You gain a piece of the person you love instead, a piece that makes you stronger and happier than you could have imagined possible.”

Beautiful!

I feel the need to give this book a standing ovation after I finished it. It was just so darn sweet!

Now when I glanced upon the name “Aurora” I immediately thought this would be a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. And I oh, so love retellings, don’t I? So yes, I must read Princess of Thorns!!! But Stacey Jay had other plans. While this book did involve Sleeping Beauty, it wasn’t exactly a retelling. This story involved Sleeping Beauty’s children rather than herself. And although this is a fairy tale, might I warn you that even though Sleeping Beauty met her prince, it didn’t turn out exactly a happily ever after. Not that I’m such a party pooper, but it’s kind of nice to see a fairy tale that showed an unhappy ending for the princess. Change is good sometimes, right?

I also appreciated that this book was focused on more than one fairy tale. It was fascinating to see how well the author was able to merge the two stories in one. Cleverly done, my friend.

I absolutely enjoyed the flow of the story of Princess of Thorns. World building and characterization was splendid and ingenious. I like the disguise Aurora dawned, very creative on developing the romance between our protagonists; Plus points on the fact that they started off as friends and not the insta-love sort.

I’ve only read one of Stacey Jay’s books which is Juliet Immortal, and I was really pleased with it that I had to get a copy of the second book, Romeo Redeemed, which I am embarrassed to say has been sitting on my shelf for over 2 years now. I’m sorry, I had a TBR pile that I was hoping to trim down but apparently never could, and Romeo Redeemed was piled there. I really like how Stacey Jay tells her stories. They are very fairy tale-like and imaginative, and you’ll never guess how it would end. Having read Princess of Thorns makes me even more determined to get to read her other books.



*Thank you, Random House and NetGalley for granting my request to view Princess of Thorns.