Monday, February 9, 2015

Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Seeker (Seeker #1)
AUTHOR: Arwen Elys Dayton
PUBLISHER: Random House Children's
PUB DATE: Feb 10 2015
For readers of A Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games comes an epic new series.

The night Quin Kincaid takes her Oath, she will become what she has trained to be her entire life. She will become a Seeker. This is her legacy, and it is an honor.

As a Seeker, Quin will fight beside her two closest companions, Shinobu and John, to protect the weak and the wronged. Together they will stand for light in a shadowy world.

And she'll be with the boy she loves--who's also her best friend.

But the night Quin takes her Oath, everything changes.

Being a Seeker is not what she thought. Her family is not what she thought. Even the boy she loves is not who she thought.

And now it's too late to walk away.

- Source: NetGalley

Rating:



“It was my belief that great minds with proper tools could change history.”

Seeker is one of those books that grip you in on the very first chapter. It has a very intriguing opening and quite an action packed beginning. With an interesting mystery you’d want to see unravel, and a unique set of characters, the first few chapters of Seeker make you feel like there is going to be one hell of story to watch out for. Sadly, it felt short of what I felt it could offer.

Seeker lacked a more elaborate history on what this world was really about. The mystery of the story was too vague and did not untangle enough into that of which a reader, such as myself, would be satisfied with. I would have wanted to see how the Seekers were before they became tainted. I wanted to get to know each house that existed beforehand. Instead, I was left with a narrow descriptive that it just so happened over time.

The characters were another problem I had with this book. While I found them to be unique at first, they turned out confusing to me throughout the story. Quin is a typical YA protagonist, badass and all that; Shinobu didn’t seem to be such a significant character up until the middle of the book; John, I don’t understand. He’s a villain and a good guy all in one, is that it? Even after his motives were revealed, I still didn’t get his decisions. Briac would have made an incredibly spiteful villain, but alas, he was told to be gruesome but not shown enough in a way that would make me despise him so bad that I couldn’t wait for him to die. And Master Tan just happened to be there at the right place, at the right time? That was too convenient.

I also didn’t understand the purpose of the athame. It didn’t seem to be incredibly relevant, sure it has the power to let a person travel from one place to another in the blink of an eye, but I don’t see how that should have affected the decisions the characters made in their lives.

Although I fail to see the riveting story in Seeker, I can’t deny that it has a huge amount of potential to become an incredibly ground breaking series. I think it just needs a little more detail to its world. It turned out more of a chase, and an abruptly blooming love story than anything else. I would have enjoyed this a lot more if I saw a more progressive storyline.



*Thank you, Random House and NetGalley for granting my request to view Seeker.