Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand [REVIEW]

Hallowed (Unearthly #2)
by Cynthia Hand
Summary from Goodreads:

"For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
"

Rating:

I was completely heartbroken over this whole thing. Damn! My dear, dear Tucker... *sniff* *slow steady breath* (desperately trying to stop myself from crying).

*Pausing for a few minutes*

Okay... I just finished giving myself a little pep talk. I’m trying to pull myself together to do this and then I’ll cry some more afterwards. *sniff*

Hallowed obviously kicks off where Unearthly ended. Whereas, Clara thinks she wasn’t able to fulfil her purpose. Now while she’s trying to figure out why exactly things turned out the way they did, she’s faced with another kind of problem that gets things way more complicated than they already are.

Cynthia Hand’s Unearthly series is one of the few books that I barely notice the slow pace or I guess, I do notice it but I don’t really care. I’ve always been the kind of reader who wants the answers in a “right here, right now” kind of way so I’m really surprised to find myself not bothering with how the pacing of this book turned out, even with Unearthly. If you haven’t read any of these books well, I’ll have you know that most parts of the books don’t have many big events that would make you feel like your hanging onto the edge of your seat. They are more of a slowly developing story that’ll have you guessing and building up more questions up until you reach the ending.

It only took a few chapters for my tears to start coming out. Sheesh! What a way to start off! I’ve been on Team Tucker during the first book and that hasn’t changed here at all. Even though Christian’s gotten the better hand here (which I’m still pissed off about by the way), I’m rooting for Tucker all the way! And it better be him you choose, Clara because if I see that boy shed even a single tear over you, things are going to get messy! And painful and a whole lot more painful! Painful than you can ever though pain could be!

Sorry. I’m an emotional wreck right now. LOL

There are quite a lot of surprises in this book than the first one, there’s the whole “Who’s going to die?” moment, Clara’s mom’s secrets, the whole angel association, the Tucker and Christian feud, and most especially Clara and Jeffrey’s dad... wow! Like, really wow!!! And the whole angel family secret along with it... wow again!

I guess I have to stop here now. I don’t even think I’m making that much sense over what I’m writing. Emotional-wreck as I just said, I know and I’m sorry. I guess you can tell that I’m totally caught up in the story and I can say that’s a good thing. This book has really gotten the best of me hence getting all red-eyed and sniffing like crazy, add the fact that I just smudged up all of my makeup while reading this, thank goodness I didn’t get the book wet with tears. If you want a really good fantasy-with-love-story-on-the-side kind of book you should definitely pick up Hallowed. Be sure to check Unearthly first, I swear, you won’t regret it.