Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Witch of Duva by Leigh Bardugo [SHORT REVIEW]

The Witch of Duva: A Ravkan Folk Tale
(The Grisha Trilogy)
by Leigh Bardugo

 Summary from Goodreads:

"There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls...or so the story goes. But it's just possible that the danger may be a little bit closer to home. This story is a companion folk tale to Leigh Bardugo's debut novel, "Shadow and Bone.""


Rating:


For those of you who want to read The Witch of Duva, 
just click the link below:


The Witch of Duva gives readers a taste of Ravkan lore, perceptibly the world of Shadow and Bone. Although, this has really nothing to do with the story of Shadow and Bone, Leigh Bardugo simply lets us get a whiff of this impeccable world. I, for one, would love to know a lot about it, because when I read Shadow and Bone, I was completely overwhelmed. A lot of the words were unfamiliar to me and it made me struggle to understand what exactly was going on at the beginning. Once I got the hang of it, it was just such a marvellous read! Anyway, more information is always a good thing.

The Witch of Duva is no exception to the whole grasp-the-idea issue I had with Shadow and Bone. I still had that struggling feeling during the introduction but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this prequel/companion folk tale.

So what exactly is it about? The next paragraph might contain spoilers so if you like to keep the suspense just skip to the next one after.

Well, this story is centered on a girl named Nadya. She lives in a small village called Duva and is suddenly watching her life crumble in front of her. Her mother dies, her brother goes into the army and her father just hasn’t been the same since the loss of his wife. Add another issue that there have been missing girls around the village and Nadya has yet to see if she might be another victim of these disappearances too. Sadly it doesn’t stop there. Her father decides to marry Karina, a village woman that she can’t seem to trust. Enter wicked stepmother act... I’ll stop at this point. Sorry. *Sheepish grin*

I can’t really say much about the characters; quite frankly they confused me during the first pages (I found myself thinking: “Who’s whats-his-name again?”, I am terribly bad with names).Also since this seemed to be more plot driven, there weren’t really moments where you could actually see deep emotional stuff about the characters. Plus it’s only less than 40 pages I think so really, where would it fit in? Haha!

Oh and that plot?! Wow! Creepy! Also... What a surprise! Clearly the stepmother was misunderstood and I have to give her credit for what she sacrificed for the greater good.

This story is like diving into one of those Grimm brothers or Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales. Who doesn’t love those stories? I know I do. It may have nothing to do with Shadow and Bone but it’s an interesting read nonetheless.