Saturday, November 23, 2013

Book Haul [33] + A Message of Gratitude!



My "Weekly Book Haul" is pretty much just like In My Mailbox by the Story Siren, This Week In Books by Pop Culture Junkie, and Stacking the Shelves by Tynga's Reviews and all the other titles with the similar concept here and there. This is a weekly post showcasing the books you received for the given week, either bought online or from a physical bookstore, borrowed from the library or from a friend, received for review or won from a giveaway, etc.

Hello, everyone! Pardon the three-week absence of posts from my blog. One of the reasons why is that I am knee-deep in wedding preparations for most of my free time from work. I can't believe that in more or less six months from now, I am going to be married! It's exciting... and nerve-wrecking. I know I'm about to freak out or have a panic attack any moment now.

Anyway, here's my book haul, which has piled up for the weeks of not posting:


TITLES:

(from the Book Depository)
THE DESERT TALES by Melissa Marr

RENEGADE by J.A. Souders (read and reviewed)
THE IRON TRAITOR by Julie Kagawa (read and reviewed)
OUTPOST by Ann Aguirre (read and reviewed)
CREWEL by Gennifer Albin (read and reviewed)
ANTIGODDESS by Kendare Blake
MONSTROUS BEAUTY by Elizabeth Fama (read and reviewed)
ORIGIN by Jennifer L. Armentrout (read and reviewed)
 

(from Fully Booked)
A TOUCH MORTAL by Leah Clifford -Bargain Sale worth Php 100.00! roughly around $2-

CHAMPION by Marie Lu (read) -Signed Copy!-
ECLIPSE by Stephenie Meyer (read and reviewed) -Bargain Sale worth Php 50.00! roughly around $1-
SUNLIGHT AND SHADOW by Cameron Dokey

(from National Bookstore)

ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth (read)
DECEPTION by C.J. Redwine
SERIOUSLY... I'M KIDDING by Ellen Degeneres (read and reviewed) 

Most of the books I purchased recently are books that I've already read through Netgalley, but I wanted copies of my own. As for my purchase of Eclipse, well someone didn't return my copy when they borrowed it - like 3 years ago - and it bothered me that I have the rest of the books without this one sitting on my shelf so I decided to just get this one since it was on sale. 

There you have it! I still have some eARCs that I didn't post today, which would be a part of next week's post since I haven't had the time to sift through them yet. 

Happy reading!



Since you're already reading this post, I'd like to give out a HUGE "THANK YOU" to everyone from all over the globe for helping the Philippines during the storm surge and destruction brought by Typhoon Haiyan (Typhoon Yolanda).
Photo source: bubblews.com article by moneygold21

Thankfully our area was not hit by the typhoon (just the usual rain-showers we get), but some of our relatives experienced firsthand the devastating surge of Haiyan. Here's a few pictures that my uncle posted:

My Aunt's two-story house in Capiz.

My nieces were there too. They both had gotten feverish due to the
shock and stress of the event, it took a few days before their
temperatures went down. Though they are now better and
are here with us in Manila.

It was horrifying to hear more awful news... but I'm sure you've heard a lot of it already so I won't go deeper into that anymore. What I would mostly like to do now is just say, "thank you." 

It was heartwarming to see messages of concern everywhere, and seeing everyone unite to help those who were in need. Being someone who has been surrounded by books, I was even more overwhelmed to see the efforts shown by the bookish community. I saw posts from authors like Jennifer L. Armentrout, Elizabeth Marx, Tahereh Mafi and Michelle Madow (a few of which I caught on Facebook), and programs organized to raise funds to help the victims like: Authors for the Philippines auction and Goodreads - The Filipino Group (which I am a member of). Again, these are only a few of those that I caught a glimpse of.







Read more of this article...
Photo source: article from cbrainard.blogspot.com
If you'd like to offer your help, you can find several ways through this link.